A carer is someone who, without payment, provides help and support to a friend, neighbour or relative who could not manage otherwise because of frailty, illness or disability.
Most carers don't recognise themselves under the term 'carer'. They are just ordinary people who, typically may be looking after:–
- a mother with Alzheimer's Disease,
- a partner with Multiple Sclerosis or
- a child with Asperger's syndrome
Children or young people between the ages of 5 and 25 who care for at least one family member are classed as Young Carers.
We are very lucky in this area to have an excellent support agency entitled 'Carer Support Wiltshire' (based at Semington) who offer free and confidential information, advice and emotional support. They can be reached by telephone on 01380 871690. Their new website address is www.carersinwiltshire.co.uk A freephone number for carers is also available 0800 181 4118.
- Information Packs
- A listening ear
- Opportunities to take breaks from the caring role eg. outings, therapeutic breaks, pampering, meals out (sorry, these are not free), craft activities etc.
- Regular Carers Groups (with speakers)
- A magazine produced 3 times a year
- Opportunities for training
- Stress management
- Relaxation techniques etc.
No distinction is made between 'live-in' carers and those who live apart from the cared-for person and help when needed.
At the surgery
The Practice offers:-
- Carer Health Checks with a trained Nurse/Counsellor
- Repeat prescriptions over the phone for the Cared For or the Carer.
- Access to appointments at a time to suit you (via a password system)
- We also offer what we call a Carer Health Check Plus which is an hour long appointment comprising 3 x 20 minute appointments with
The Nurse for a medical check-up,
- A Carer Support Worker from Carers Support, West Wilts and
- A representative from FAB, the Financial Assessment & Benefits Team.
Please ring the Surgery if you have any queries about any of the above.
Carer Questionnaires can be found in the surgery waiting-room if you wish to identify yourself as a Carer.
We are delighted to have been awarded a Gold Standard award as part of the Wiltshire Investors in Carers Scheme. This scheme for Wiltshire has been developed by local Carers, members of voluntary agencies such as Carers Support, a number of GP surgeries and members of NHS Wiltshire and Wiltshire Council. Pictured are Rosie Browne, our Carers Administrator and Tracy Wakeley, Reception Team Leader, receiving their award.